Who We Are
Olympic Industries ULC is a leading international forest products trading company with annual revenue exceeding $500 million. Our expertise includes importing, manufacturing, and wholesale distribution of lumber. Established in 1972, we have a strong record of success and a clear vision for our industry’s sustainable future. Our office is located in the heart of the vibrant and breathtaking Lonsdale Quay.
Olympic Industries is currently searching for a highly motivated and passionate Commodity Trader to join our growth-oriented team and contribute to the company’s success through buying and selling forest products in the Physical/Cash and Futures market – while providing market intelligence to customers and producers, managing risk and margin, and engaging in business development.
Reporting to the President, the Commodity Trader will work both in individual and team capacity to build sustainable businesses for extracting margin from arbitrage opportunities.
- Negotiating prices and sales with producers and consumers.
- Networking, cold-calling, and qualifying prospects.
- Drive, develop, and support trading activities.
- Continuously generating new trading ideas by identifying arbitrage opportunities.
- Keeping a constant up-to-date knowledge of the markets to ensure continuous real-time price discovery.
- Managing trading positions autonomously while balancing risk and financing.
- Communicating and collaborating with the support team to ensure smooth transactions.
- Mentoring and supporting the growth of new Trader Trainees.
Training for Trader Trainees
Successful candidates will actively participate in an 8-12 months intensified training program to develop an in-depth understanding of the lumber trading industry while:
- Working with the logistics team to manage lumber distribution through growing the transportation network and negotiating freight.
- Communicating and collaborating with Olympic Industries Traders to resolve challenges in the distribution of forest products.
- Networking with Olympic Industries Traders to learn about the company’s business model.
- Monitoring and analyzing market trends within the forest product trading industry.
- Developing and presenting a personal business plan before transitioning to the trading floor.
Who We’re Looking For
Education and Experience
- Previous experience in a meritocratic role where there is a requirement to influence other’s decisions and actions. For example: sales and account management.
- Degree or Diploma in a related program such as Business or equivalent experience considered an asset.
- Experience in competitive sports or other highly competitive roles is considered an asset.
- Background in forestry or lumber is considered an asset.
- High-energy with an entrepreneurial spirit.
- Strong work ethic and commitment to go above and beyond in a professional environment.
- A high degree of integrity and honesty.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to effectively communicate and interact with all levels of an organization.
- Excellent analytical and mathematical skills.
- Proficient in Microsoft Excel.
- Ability to complete work in a timely manner with accuracy and attention to detail.
- Ability to act with good judgement and discretion, keeping sensitive business data secure.
Why Join Us?
- Unlimited earning potential with a highly competitive compensation model.
- Work hard, play hard company culture.
- Employee stock ownership plan.
- RRSP Contribution Plan.
- On-site gym and showers.
- On-site kitchen.
- Extended health benefits.
- Life insurance and Accidental Death & Dismemberment Insurance.
- Long-term disability insurance.
- Employee assistance and scholarship programs.
- Easy access to the mountains and oceans.
We thank all applicants for their interest! However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. At Olympic Industries, we embrace diversity and are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, cultures, perspectives, skills, and experiences. As an equal opportunity employer, we encourage applications from all qualified individuals.